Sunday, July 20, 2008

Motif Twenty-Four

This is my own original pattern. I created it to be earrings to match my other cross pattern (motif twelve). I thought I would share the pattern here. I have spent the last who-knows-how-long remembering why I don't like to write down patterns. I cannot figure out how to explain things to make sure people can understand how to tat them!! *sigh*

I'm hoping most people will actually be able to tat it because of the picture. I'll put the written directions here, but please, please, please, if someone has some ideas of how to say something better or explain it more clearly, or if you find any errors while tatting it, mention it in the comments so the poor people trying to follow the pattern and make the cross can do so. I'm hopeless.

Mini-Cross by Elizabeth C. Zipay
(c) 2000

Two shuttles.
I use the method of "front-side/back side" tatting.
All joining picots on the chains are extremely small.
In size 20 thread, the cross is ~ 1 1/2" tall and 1 1/4" wide.

With shuttle #1
*R 3-2-2. RW
Ch 1. RW
R 2+(to last p of previous R)4-4-2. RW
Ch 1. RW
R 2+(to last p of previous R)2-3. RW*
Ch 2-2. Do no reverse work.

With shuttle #2, R1-1-1-1. Do not reverse work.
With shuttle #1, Continue ch 2-2. RW

Repeat from * to *.

Ch 2+(to opposite p of previous Ch)
2+(to next p of shuttle #2 R)2-2.RW

Repeat from * to *.

Ch 2+(to opposite p of previous Ch)
2+(to next p of shuttle #2 R)4-5-4.RW

Repeat from * to *.

Ch 4+(opposite p of previous Ch)
5+(opposite p of precious Ch)
4+(to next p of shuttle #2 R)
2+(to opposite p on third Ch tatted)2.

Attach to first ring. Finish off.

10 comments:

connie said...

Elizabeth
My condolences on losing your grandmother. What wonderful memories you have shared with us.
I will try to make your cross and think about how she must have influenced you.
Thank you for sharing.
Connie

Tattycat said...

Please accept my condolences also on losing your grandmother. They are so very precious. I too will make your cross in her memory and then share it with you. Thank you for the pattern.
Laura

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Elizabeth, I tried your pattern this morning and I love it! I think your directions are fine. There was a little operator error on my part... too many picots in one part, not enough pattern repeats in another... but I was fighting a headache at the time and probably shouldn't have been tatting. I will be making this little cross... correctly! Thank you for sharing the pattern!

Unknown said...

So pretty and so nice of you to share the pattern with us.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. I hope you find comfort in this time of loss.

Tara said...

This is a beautiful cross and a great tribute to your grandmother. Thank you for sharing the pattern.

Tara

Marilee Rockley said...

This is a wonderful little cross pattern. Someone was just asking me the other day if I knew of any really small cross patterns, and I didn't. You've gone and designed a beautiful one!

Ridgewoman said...

Thank you for the small cross; 'tis lovely. I don't do 'front-side, back-side' tatting; but, I'm going to try the pattern.
A lovely memorial.

bj

Shay said...

what a beautiful motif -- thank you for sharing it, and your memories, with us.

Carla said...

Very beautiful cross!

Unknown said...


I can say your pattern was most excellent. I dont shuttle tat(my fingers get twisted) but I do needle tat. And very easily was able to make your design. There was no need for front/back side with the needle. Thank you for a lovely pattern.