Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

Well, I'm only a little late to the tatted heart posting party...finally recovered (for the most part) from the flu. This heart necklace was quite large - I made it so long ago (and never did make another) so I wish I knew where the heart pattern came from originally, but when I went back to look for it again I couldn't find it - if anyone knows, post in the comments and I'll add the information here.


The rest of the necklace is beadweaving with pearls, seed and other glass beads, made to look like hearts as well.

I have been tatting while having the flu - in short bursts between naps, sneezing and coughing, the chills and having the sweats so bad the thread gets all wet and you can't do anything with it. I also am currently working on fixing a doily for a friend. Her mother tatted the doily but it is very fragile - I'm not sure if it was treated with some kind of starch and then not stored well - but almost the entire outer row had "broken" off of the rest of the doily - in other words, the picots are broken so there's nothing to do but take a fine thread in the same color and sew it back together. Unfortunately, it is so fragile I've managed to break a few more picots while trying to work on it. I'm at the blocking point now - I've blocked it once but it needs to be done a second time.

Lots of wash to catch up on, and I have to go do some bookkeeping for a non-profit organization I volunteer for today as well - so I'm off!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! That is gobsmackingly gorgeous! What a beauty! :)

tattrldy said...

Beautiful! Love the colors!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I hope you recover from the flu quickly... I'm knocking on wood that I don't get any more than the good old-fashioned head cold I had a couple of weeks ago!

The necklace is gorgeous! Kudos to you for trying to repair a beloved tatting piece. I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to start, and I don't think I'd have the patience. I'm sure your efforts will be greatly appreciated.

Tatskool said...

Lovely necklace, hope you are feeling better, being ill is rotten.

Tattycat said...

It really is beautiful, Elizabeth. I hope you will be good as new very soon.

Ais said...

WOW! It is so pretty. Really beautiful design. I hope you recover soon.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Elizabeth, I am sooo happy you're back, I can get to see your awesome work, the combination of beads and tatting is wonderful.

Prabhdeep said...

This is so beautiful!!! I really love the elaborate bead work that you did on it. I know this has been bad season. My son is also recovering from the flu. Hope you are feeling better now!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much everyone, for all the nice compliments as well as the wishes for getting well soon. Other than a lingering cough, I am much, much better. Hopefully I will have some time to post this weekend - it has been a little crazy trying to catch up with the taxes after missing work for a week.